Making this Vintage Inspired Necklace was easy to do using Iron Orchid Designs Vintage Art Décor Moulds. The line of IOD moulds are vintage inspired and perfect for making jewelry for yourself or as a gift this holiday season. This project is part of the annual Handmade Holidays Blog Hop. Please see the links at the bottom of this tutorial to visit more participating bloggers and see all the great gift ideas. Don’t forget to enter the drawing to win the grand prize, link below.
• Vintage Art Décor Mould-Baroque2 by Iron Orchid Designs
• White Casting Resin
• Black Craft Paint
• Black Chain – 18inches
• Black Jumprings (4)
• Black Lobster Clasp
• Black Headpin (4)
• Black Filigree
• Red Round Beads (4)
• Large Red Stone
• E6000 Glue
• Small Plastic Measuring Cups
• Wood Stir Sticks
• Clear Coat Spray-Matte
• Round Nose Pliers
• Flat Nose Pliers (2 pairs)
• Chain Nose Pliers
• Plastic Tip Pliers
• Small Metal File
• Small Paint Brush
How to make this Vintage Inspired Necklace:
1. Mix the casting resin according to manufacturer’s instructions and pour into the art deco design in the Vintage Art Décor Mould from Iron Orchid Designs. Allow to cure according to directions.
2. When the resin is cured remove from the mould. Use a small file to clean up any rough edges that the casting may have.
3. Paint the casting with black craft paint and allow to dry. Apply a second coat of paint if needed. When the paint is completely dry, apply a coat of clear matte spray to the casting. Allow to dry.
4. Load a red bead onto a headpin, trim and make a simple loop. Repeat this step for the remaining 3 beads.
5. Cut the chain into two equal pieces. Open a jumpring and add two beads from the previous step to the ring. Add the ring to the end link on the chain. Wrap the end of the chain around the inlongated top curve of the casting. Secure the end of the chain, by adding the jumpring to a link of the chain. Make sure the chain loop is small enough so that it does not slide off the curve.
6. Use a jumpring to add the lobster clasp to the end of the chain. For the opposite side of the chain attach a jumpring to the end link of the chain.
7. Place the red stone in the center of the filigree and gently bend the filigree around the stone with the plastic tip pliers. Continue bending until the stone is secure. Add glue to the back of the filigree and place stone on the casting. Allow glue to dry according to manufactures instructions.
Now you have a vintage inspired necklace to give as a gift. Customizing the color of the necklace is easy to do by changing the paint, beads or stone colors. Thank you for stopping by today and don’t forget to visit the other participants in this blog hop!
Thank you to all the sponsors that participated in this hop:
- Clearsnap http://clearsnap.com
- Hydrangea Hippo etsy shop https://www.etsy.com/shop/hydrangeahippo
- Hepp’s Salt Co. (food) https://heppssalt.com/
- The Twinery http://thetwinery.com/
- Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L https://www.scrapbook-adhesives.com/
- Stencil1 http://stencil1.com
- Buttons Galore & More http://www.buttonsgaloreandmore.com/
- DecoArt, Inc. http://decoart.com
- Walnut Hollow http://walnuthollow.com
- Graphic 45 https://www.g45papers.com/
- Iron Orchid Designs http://ironorchiddesigns.com/
To see more great gift ideas for this holiday season, visit all the participating bloggers: