Hashtags are not just popular on social media, they have made their way into jewelry designs too! This Love Hashtag Necklace (#Love Necklace) is whimsical, and fun to wear. I used an assortment of non traditional jewelry making supplies to create this hashtag heart. So get out those rubber stamps and start thinking about new ways to use them! Enjoy this tutorial.
To make this Hashtag Necklace you will need the following supplies:
1 Heart Blank Brass 29/46mm
2 Jumpring 6mm ~Antique Gold
1 Jumpring 4mm ~ Antique Gold
2 Headpins 2” ~ Antique Gold
18” Pre-made Ball Chain with Clasp
1 Glass Pearl Bead 4mm ~ White
1 Fire Polished Bead 4mm ~Ruby
1 Rivet Brass
Black Acrylic Paint ~ Adirondack
White Acrylic Paint ~ Adirondack
Archival Ink Black ~ Ranger Ink
Small Rose Stamp
#love stamp ~ Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz
Vellum Paper ~ Variety of Prints
Round Nose Pliers
Flat Nose Pliers (2 Sets)
Chain Nose Pliers
1. Tear several small pieces of vellum paper. Enough to cover the heart blank. Brush a layer of Mod Podge onto the front of the heart blank. Randomly place the vellum paper on the heart. Brush a second layer of Mod Podge over the paper. Set aside to dry.
2. When the heart is dry, brush on a thin layer of white paint. Set aside to dry. The piece must be completely dry, before moving onto the next step.
3. Using a bead reamer, carefully push through the covered hole, to expose it. Use the Archival Ink, to stamp #love and roses onto the heart. Set aside to allow ink to dry.
4. Once ink is dry, brush on black paint on the edges of the heart to give the piece a withered look. Let paint completely dry.
5. Set the rivet in the existing hole on the heart blank. Apply Magic Glos to the heart following the manufacture’s instruction. Allow piece to dry. I use a UV light to dry mine.
6. Load pearl bead onto headpin, make a wrapped loop and trim. Repeat for the fire polished bead. Open 4mm jumpring and add bead drops. Open 6mm jumpring and link to 4mm jumpring. Close jumpring. Open 6mm jumpring and heart using rivet. Add the heart and bead drops to the pre-made ball chain.
Thank you for reading my tutorial.